Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Piercing Need For A Guardian

, , , | Right | August 15, 2018

(I work for a popular children’s jewellery shop that also does ear piercing. Piercings for children can only happen if a parent or legal guardian is present to sign the forms; this is store policy. A customer approaches with two teen girls.)

Customer: “Hi, I’d like to get her ears pierced.” *gestures to one of the girls*

Me: “Of course. I just need to ask what relation you are to her.”

Customer: “What do you mean?”

Me: “Well, are you her parent or legal guardian?”

Customer: “I’m her guardian for today; I’m looking after her.”

Me: “So, you’re not her mother or adoptive mother?”

Customer: “No, but I’m in charge of her for today.”

Me: “I’m very sorry, but a parent or legal guardian has to be here to sign the forms and agree to the piercing; if she comes back with a parent I’d be happy to pierce her ears.”

Customer: *suddenly very irate* “But I am her guardian for today. Why can’t you just do it!?”

Me: “It’s store policy; we can’t pierce a child’s ears without a parent’s permission.”

Customer: *nearly yelling* “Well, that’s stupid! Why can’t I just sign the forms? You’re wasting my time!”

Me: “You can’t sign the forms because you’re not her mother.”

(This conversation goes around for a while, with me trying to keep me cool, saying that the girl’s parent needs to be present, and the woman yelling about how stupid I am, and how stupid the store is.)

Customer: “Well, I’ll just go to another shop and say I’m her mum! You are ridiculous! I won’t shop here again!”

(She then buys several products, all the while muttering about how stupid the store is and how she’ll just go to another shop and lie.)

Me: *as customer leaves* “Have a lovely day!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!