Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Phone Tag

, , | Right | March 26, 2021

Where I work, there are different departments and each one has a register and bagging station, and a separate desk behind that area for hold orders and folding clothes. Departments are often worked by single employees who have to leave the station to answer questions, find items in back stock, clean fitting rooms, or check on customers. It is pretty standard for people to stand at the register to wait for an employee. It is also common for people to place their items on the folding desk while talking or texting on their phone. Granted, there are no signs directing customers to stand at the register to wait for help.

I am taking a customer phone call, which has me looking for items on the floor and in back stock, to put on hold. As I am returning, I notice a lady with her items on my folding desk, nowhere near the register, texting away. I end the phone call and start to process the hold. As I am working, I can clearly see the lady on her phone, and she is not even looking my way. I barely finish processing the hold when the phone rings again and I answer.

Me: “Thanks for calling [Company]. How can I help you?”

Customer: “Really?!”

Me: “I’m sorry, could you please hold?”

I turn to the lady behind me.

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am?”

Customer: “I was waiting for you to get off the phone to take care of me and you just ignored me.”

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am. When people are on their phones, I assume they are not looking for my help.”

Customer: “Well, I am!”

Me: “Okay, how can I help?”

Customer: “Never mind. You are too busy to help a customer.”

She walked off in a huff. I realize that anticipating a customer’s needs is a part of good customer service and I should ask if you need my assistance, but when I am already immediately assisting customers, even if it is on the phone, you need to at least show some effort in getting my attention and let me know you need assistance.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!