Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Persistence Beats Loyalty

| Working | March 2, 2016

(I have been a customer of a television company for more than 10 years, and decide it’s time for an upgrade to the new exclusive service. I get on the phone and am put through to a company representative.)

Representative #1: “[Television Company], this is [Representative #1].”

Me: “Yes, hello, [Representative #1]. My name is [My Name]. I have been a customer with your company for well over 10 years now and would like to see what upgrades I can get to my service. What can you offer for me?”

Representative #1: “Well, the exclusive package we have is generally the most popular. Is that something you’d be interested in?”

Me: “Of course! How much extra would that be per month?”

Representative #1: “If you upgrade you’ll be looking at an extra £40 a month, sir, as is with all the contracts on this tier.”

(This strikes me as incredibly odd. Because I have decided to stay with this company for more than 10 years I was at least hoping for a discount. The rep’s tone of voice in this conversation as well hasn’t convinced me that she is listening, or at all interested in my ambition to upgrade.)

Me: “Sorry. I’ve been with your company for more than 10 years now. Are there any deals you can offer me?”

Representative #1: “No, I’m afraid not, sir. Sorry.”

(I give up.)

Me: “All right, thanks.” *click*

(Upset that such a large company would treat its loyal customers like this, I decide to call back and terminate my service. This time, I get a new, younger representative.)

Representative #2: *in the most cheeriest voice I’ve ever heard* “Hello, you’re through to Customer Services. My name is [Representative #2]. How can I help you today?”

Me: “Yeah, hi. I’m calling because I’d like to cancel my service with your company, please.”

Representative #2: “Okay, sir, would you mind me asking what is your decision to do this today?”

Me: “Well, to be honest, [Representative #2], I’ve been a loyal customer with your company for more than 10 years. I just got off the phone with another representative who told me it wasn’t possible to even get a discount on upgrading. So for that reason, I would like to terminate my contract with you.”

Representative #2: “Right. Stay on the phone, sir. You’re not cancelling today because you’re speaking to me.”

(I assume most people would be insulted by such an adamant tactic to get their customers to stay, but so far I’ve been impressed by the young representative’s attitude to customer service.)

Me: “Okay, I’m listening.”

Representative #2: “Okay, sir, I have your file up now. I can see you have been a very loyal customer. I’m just going to talk to my supervisor for a moment and see what we can offer you. How does that sound?”

Me: *mood instantly lifts* “That sounds fantastic, [Representative #2]. Thank you!”

Representative #2: “I thought it would! Please hold, sir.”

(I wait no less than 40 seconds before the rep is back on the phone.)

Representative #2: “Okay, sir, because of your loyalty and your earlier unpleasant conversation, my supervisor has given me permission to give you a year’s worth of free service. After that you’ll be discounted 75% off the bill until you decide to leave us. How does that sound?”

Me: “Oh, wow! That’s amazing! Thank you so much, [Representative #2]!”

Representative #2: “Not a problem, sir. Anything else I can do for you today?”

Me: “No, that’s fine. Thank you!”

Representative #2: “That’s great, then. Thank you for your time, sir! Goodbye!”

Me: “Goodbye!” *click*

(It just goes to show, never let a bad experience put you off of getting what you want!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!