Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Patrons Can Wear You Down

, , | Right | April 10, 2018

(In my library system, if you’re charged with a lost or damaged book, you’re allowed to find a cheaper version of it and have it replaced. One day a woman comes up to the desk.)

Patron: “Hi, I need to replace a book I lost. I was told I can bring in another book to replace it.”

Me: “Sure! May I see the book so I can match up the ISBN number?”

(The woman hands me the book. It’s an old, worn, discarded copy from a different library. It still has the old library barcode and stamps on it.)

Me: “I’m sorry; I cannot take this. It has to be a new copy.”

Patron: “I was never told that! I was told I could bring in any book!”

Me: “Ma’am, this is not even a good copy. Many of the pages are worn and there are pen scuffs on the cover.”

Patron: “I WAS TOLD I CAN BRING IN ANY COPY!”

(I ended up getting my manager, who told her the same thing. She eventually left with her worn copy, grumbling.)


This story is part of the Library roundup!

Read the next Library roundup story!

Read the Library roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!