Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pardon My French

, , , , | Friendly | August 31, 2017

(I grew up a Cajun in Louisiana, so I’m fluent in Cajun French. My family knows a lot about our history, including how our ancestors lived in Nova Scotia, and were victims of the Expulsion of the Acadians. I’m visiting a friend in Wolfville while she’s in college, when she suddenly has an idea.)

Friend: “Hey, [My Name], I actually have another friend who can speak French, wanna meet them?”

Me: “Um… I don’t know, the French I speak is very different, from what I’ve heard.”

Friend: “Nah, don’t worry, she’ll understand you.”

(She takes me to said friend’s house, who, when she opens to door, gives a very confused look to me and an annoyed look to my friend.)

Friend: “Well, go on, talk to her.”

Me: *in Cajun French* “Hi there, nice to meet you. [Friend] says that you speak French.”

(The girl looks at me in confusion, and when she talks back to me in French, I can only pick out a few words. We can only stare at each other in confusion.)

Friend: *now getting annoyed* “Well, why aren’t you guys talking?

Me: “I can’t understand her French…”

Friend: “What do you mean you can’t understand her French? It’s French! You said you spoke it!”

Girl: *sighing, then speaks in English* “[Friend], I told you, you aren’t invited to my sorority party, and bringing someone who speaks French isn’t going to change it. And by the way, there’s different types of French.”

Friend: “Well, fine! I didn’t want to go anyway. I should’ve known better than to ask some dumb American to help me! Come on, [My Name].”

Girl: “Oh, by the way.” *points to me* “You can come to my party. I’ve never heard that kind of French before.”

(My friend stomped off and refused to talk to me the rest of the day. Because it would be rude not to, I did show up to the party, where I got swarmed by people who wanted to hear how Cajun French sounded. Turns out, there were some people there [including the girl who invited me] whose ancestors were also victims from the Expulsion, where their families either hid from the British, or came back to Nova Scotia pledging allegiance. I later returned to Louisiana and cut ties with my “friend” for good, but I did gain a few new friends.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!