Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Painting Themselves Into A Corner

, , , , , , | Right | May 19, 2023

I work in a large paint store that sells one specific brand. A customer walks up to the customer service desk.

Customer: “I need another can of this paint.”

She presents a can of paint made by a different brand.

Me: “Ma’am, that can didn’t come from our store as we don’t sell that brand of paint, but I’ll be happy to match it to a similar type of paint.”

Customer: “No, I bought it here. Just make me another one just like this.”

Me: “I’m sorry, we don’t carry that brand. The sticker on top looks like it was purchased at [Home Improvement Chain].”

Customer: “I know I bought it here in this store. It was before you worked here.”

Me: “It says [Home Improvement Chain] on it, right here on the label.”

Customer: “Who’s in charge here? I need to speak to them.”

The manager comes over and explains politely that we don’t carry this specific brand of products, never have, and most likely never will.

Customer: “You’re lying to me! Go check the back, and you’ll find a can just like this.” 

We both go to the back and facepalm for a few seconds. Then, we go back and try to explain again that we don’t carry that brand. Finally, she gives up.

Customer: “Well, I still need to buy this brush.”

I ring it up, give her the total, and swipe her card.

The card is declined.

Me: “It looks like this card is expired; do you have the new card or another form of payment?”

At that point, she just flipped her lid. She turned to the manager, yelled at him that I wouldn’t accept her credit card and that she was going to get us both fired, threw the brush on the ground, and stormed off.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!