Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

Some People Want To Makeup Their Own Rules

, , , , | Right | April 18, 2024

I’m a freelance makeup artist.

Client: “I’ve been lurking on your work for months now, and it’s beautiful. I have finally decided you are the person I’d like to do my wedding makeup. The date is [date].”

Me: “Thank you so much for the compliment, but unfortunately, I’m already booked on that date. My apologies.”

Client: “But I’ve been lurking your work for months!”

Me: “Yes, but you can’t book a date that way. I need clients to make formal bookings to secure my time.”

Client: “Can’t you just cancel the other booking?”

Me: “I’m sorry, no, I couldn’t do that to a customer who has secured my time and paid my booking fee well in advance.”

Client: “Your customer service is appalling.”

Welcome To The Customer Retention Circus

, , , , , , | Working | April 18, 2024

This story reminded me of what happened the last time I had to update my phone contract.

I got a notice that my discounted rate would end soon. Since I was heading over to a store to buy an unrelated item, I decided to ask about a new rate while I was at it. Apparently, the very best they could offer me at [ISP] was about one and a half times the rate I had now.

I told my significant other about it, and they told me that they had recently updated their plans with a rate that was about the same as my discounted one, with the same services, at a kiosk in a mall nearby.

“Great! This will be easy,” I thought, and headed over to the mall to find the kiosk.

At the kiosk, it was explained to me that yes, they could offer the rate my SO had told me about — but only for new customers. Since I was an old customer, no good rates for me.

So, I walked over to the kiosk of [Rival ISP] and asked for their best rate if I switched over. I got something a bit higher than the rate for new customers at my current ISP. I signed the papers right there and went home.

A couple of days later, as expected, my still-current ISP called me. They noticed I was switching ISPs and wanted to offer me a good deal if I stayed. Somehow, that deal was the exact same one offered to new customers at the kiosk.

I ended up accepting that deal. It was a pretty good deal, but holy crap do the ISPs make you jump through hoops to get those deals. I’ve been a customer of the same ISP for over twenty years now, and the only thanks I get is having to jump through the same hoops every two years.

I swear, the day one ISP implements discounts for staying over two years, I’m switching over.

Related:
Welcome To The Call Center Centrifuge, Part 3

For The Love Of God, Let Him Chew The Pens!

, , , , , , | Learning | April 18, 2024

When I was in college, I worked part-time in the building that served as the central hub for the college campus. No classes were held there, but the building had conference rooms, an auditorium, restaurants, and a computer laboratory, where I worked. The computer lab also sold software and printouts. Plus we were expected to help students on occasion, so we had basic office supplies on site: staplers, pens, etc. 

Like any other retail place, we had regulars. Most were fine, but one guy was just weird. He bought a copy of MS Office once and then just walked around the place a bunch of times, never using the computers, studying, or anything. He would frequently stop by and ask to borrow a pen, and then he would go back to walking around the place some more. I don’t think I ever saw him actually write anything down with the pens. 

One day, he asked to borrow a pen from me, and I gave it to him. He gave it back a few hours later, and I was disgusted to find that he had chewed it up. 

Me: “No, I’m not taking this pen back. This is now your pen. Keep hold of it now, because I’m not letting you borrow any more pens from here.”

[Weirdo] took the pen and left without saying anything. I didn’t see him for the rest of the day. 

On my next shift, which was late afternoon to close, [Weirdo] was there again, because he always was. 

Weirdo: “Can I borrow a pen?”

Me: “No. Last time you were here, I gave you a pen to keep. You can use that pen, and it should be fine because it was two days ago.”

[Weirdo] left immediately without saying a word. No arguing, no hassle. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. 

Later in that same shift, I was getting a bit hungry, so I called a member of the setup crew (other student employees who set up the auditoriums and conference rooms for events) to cover for me a bit because I wanted to get some dinner at one of the restaurants in the building.

I came back twenty minutes later to find the place swarming with police.

Me: “What in the h*** happened here?”

Setup Crew Guy: “[Weirdo] came in with a large axe and just started prowling around the place! I called the police, and they arrested him.”

I never saw [Weirdo] again after that. To this day, I wonder if [Weirdo] would have tried to murder me with an axe because I wouldn’t let him chew on a pen. If that’s the case, I’m glad he wasn’t smart enough to check the restaurants in the building.

Who Wants To Tell Them?

, , , | Right | April 18, 2024

Customer: “I want you to make my coffee for me.” 

Me: “I’m just taking the orders for today, sir.”

Customer: “No. I want you to make it. I don’t trust those other guys. I was in Afghanistan, and I don’t trust Arabs to make my coffee.”

I try to ignore how wrong all of that was.

Me: “Well, they all make a decent cup of coffee, sir, I assure you.”

Customer: “Fine… but you’d better be making them tomorrow.”

Me: *Just trying to move this along* “I will try, sir.”

Customer: “It’s so bad in America these days. They’re everywhere. I saw online yesterday that they started teaching Arabic numbers in schools! That’s crazy!”

Why Contracts Are A Gazillion Pages Long, Part 5

, , , | Right | April 17, 2024

Two women approach me, and one of them places a ruined pair of shoes on the counter.

Customer #1: “I need a refund! These just fell apart!” 

Me: “I can see that, ma’am. It looks like they got wet.”

Customer #1: “Well, yes, I put them in the washing machine.”

Me: “Ma’am, these are a delicate pair of shoes. You should wipe them to clean them, not put them in a laundry machine.”

Customer #1: “Well, there weren’t any instructions telling me not to!” 

The customer’s friend looks up from her phone and seems dumbfounded.

Customer #2: “Dear God, Barbara. It’s because of people like you there’s a tutorial video on YouTube on how to drink water…” 

Related:
Why Contracts Are A Gazillion Pages Long, Part 4
Why Contracts Are A Gazillion Pages Long, Part 3
Why Contracts Are A Gazillion Pages Long, Part 2
Why Contracts Are A Gazillion Pages Long