Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

It’s All Too Ap-parent That They Don’t Care

, , , , , , , , | Right | February 28, 2024

I work in a restaurant. I had a big group at work the other day with another coworker, and this table was absolutely insufferable. They were super impatient and condescending — the kind of people who think servers exist for only them and aren’t people. But that wasn’t the worst part.

The biggest b**** and ringleader of the whole table had a two-year-old kid who was just a tiny deviant. This kid kept grabbing me, trying to stick his hands under my shirt, and calling me Mommy, and his parents wouldn’t even bat an eye.

Me: *Gesturing to the toddler* “Please keep an eye on him. There’s hot food coming in and out, and I’m worried that he’ll get hurt.”

They just rolled their eyes and then started whispering amongst themselves.

I talked to a manager, and she didn’t do anything. She told me to tough it out and come get her if it escalated to the adults behaving like that.

What do I do in a situation like that? I can’t put my hands on the kid, but I don’t need to be groped by a toddler at work. Parents are the only ones who can control their kids, and they definitely had no desire to do so.

Legendary Assumptions

, , , , , , | Friendly | March 1, 2024

Back in 2022, I was at a retail chain looking for a copy of “Pokémon Legends: Arceus”. Upon reaching the games section and asking an employee to open the game case, I was told that they were actually holding copies at the electronics counter since it was release day! Great!

I started to head to the counter, only to be approached by a strange man. I am a small, young-looking woman.

Man: “I heard you were looking for Legend Of Zelda? Just so you know, Zelda is actually the princess, and the hero is Link.”

Me: *Uncomfortable* “I was actually looking for the Pokémon game…”

Man: “Oh.”

And he walked off. I went to get my game and got the heck out of that store, lest I see that man again that day!

Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself, Part 6

, , , , , | Right | February 24, 2024

Customer: “I want a mocha but no coffee in it.”

Me: “Oh, so you want a hot chocolate?”

Customer: “No, I want a mocha.”

Me: “A mocha is espresso with chocolate. Without the coffee, it’s just chocolate.”

Customer: “I want a mocha but with no coffee.”

I look at my manager, who has heard the interaction.

Manager: “Just charge him $3.90 for a hot choccy milky.”

I did. He seemed happy. Regular hot chocolate was $2.50. 

Related:
Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself, Part 5
Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself, Part 4
Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself, Part 3
Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself, Part 2
Making A Mocha-ry Of Yourself

Apparently, They Were In The Dark About Restaurant Etiquette

, , , , , | Right | February 29, 2024

I went to a restaurant where you dine in the dark in Montreal a decade or so ago. The waitstaff were all blind.

If you needed to get up and go to the bathrooms (which were kept very dimly lit and were behind a blackout door), you had to let one of the staff know and they would guide you; they couldn’t have patrons roaming around in the dark colliding with the waitstaff.

One group that was eating at the same time we were was clearly on a company holiday outing of some sort, and they arrived already moderately intoxicated. We could hear them laughing and carrying on in the dark; I think they were throwing food at one another. Partway through our meal, we heard a clatter and some stumbling followed by a very vituperative angry female French voice saying:

Employee: “Veuillez rester sur votre chaise et ne pas gêner notre personnel, s’il vous plaît!(Please stay in your chair and do not disturb our staff, please!)

The food was actually very good — beef stroganoff on noodles, green beans, rolls, that kind of thing. It turns out to be d*** hard to eat noodles with a fork in the dark unless you’re used to doing it. My wife and I both wound up using our hands directly for a lot of the meal.

I Scream For Half-Price Ice Cream

, , , , , , , , | Right | March 2, 2024

My supermarket is not the sort of sprawling behemoth implied by the term “chain store”, but it does have several different locations. The particular location where I work has a mismatch between what our circulars say and what our computer system actually does.

For example: this week, there is a two-for-one sale on a certain brand of ice cream. What the circular says: buy one get one free, and you have to buy two. What our system actually does: each item rings up as half off, so you can buy only one and still get the sale.

Today, I have a customer who is buying two tubs of the ice cream that’s on sale. He also has a coupon for a free tub of ice cream, or $5.99, whichever amount is lower. His order is small — only one other item besides those tubs. I ring it all up and follow the usual procedure with this kind of coupon, which involves grabbing a pen to write down the amount it takes off. I read the price aloud to myself in preparation for writing it down.

That’s where the trouble starts.

Customer: “No. No, that’s not right. It’s supposed to be $5.99.”

Me: “Your ice creams rang up as $3.49. It’s giving you one of them for free.”

Customer: “It’s supposed to take off $5.99.”

Me: “Well, they’re $3—”

Customer: “No. The circular says, ‘Buy one, get one free.'”

Me: “That means they’re both half off.”

Customer: “Get me your manager.”

Way ahead of you, sir. Being yelled at freaks me out, so I am only too happy to pass him on to one of my direct supervisors, the bookkeepers. A bookkeeper comes down, rings up the coupon, sees that it took off $3.49, looks at the circular, and says exactly the same things I did.

Customer: “Get the store manager.”

The bookkeeper gets on the intercom and calls the store manager to my register. The bookkeepers all started as cashiers and occasionally come down to work a register if it’s busy. The store managers, as far as I know, have no such history, or if they do, it’s years in the past. When the store manager comes down, it takes him an extra long time just to figure out what is happening. He has to look at the circular, look at the coupon, discuss things with the bookkeeper, etc. He is confused because there is no sign that anything is wrong.

Customer: “It’s supposed to take off $5.99. See, right there.”

Manager: “Yeah, I see it. ‘Up to $5.99.’ Well, the ice cream is ringing up $3.49, and it’s taking off $3.49, so you’re getting one for free.”

Customer: “No. The circular says, ‘Buy one, get one free.'”

Bookkeeper: “That means they’re half off.”

Manager: “Two for $6.98, it says. That’s $3.49 each.”

Customer: “It says, ‘Buy one get one free.'”

Me: *To the manager, who still looks confused* “I think he was expecting one ice cream to ring up at its full price of $6.99, the second one to ring up free because of our sale, and then the coupon to take $5.99 off the first one, so he would get two tubs of ice cream for a dollar.”

The exchange goes on a little while longer. It’s just repetitions of the same. When it becomes clear that the manager is not going to alter our computer system on the spot, the angry guy demands that his entire order be canceled. We return his coupon, he leaves, and the bookkeeper returns the ice cream to the freezers. The manager begins to walk away from my register.

Me: “Hey, [Manager]? What’s up with the circulars? They’re not right. It says that the customers have to buy two, but they don’t. If I ring up a single one, it’s still half off.”

The manager gives the circular another glance.

Manager: “Yeah, the circulars are written for the new system we’re getting soon.”

This would be the new system we’ve been hearing about for six months. That’s approximately when the circulars started saying, “Must buy two,” which implies that at least one location has had this new system in place for months. Why is it taking so long to go around to ten or fewer stores to perform this upgrade?

More importantly, how many more customers like this guy am I going to see before it happens?