Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Oversized Service!

, , | Right | November 7, 2017

(I have to send a small package overseas to a friend. Unfortunately, the German postage system is somewhat difficult to understand because there are so many options and regulations of what size and what weight can be shipped with which postage, so I go to the counter to ask and become “that” confused customer, sadly.)

Me: “Hi! I want to ship this to the United States. It’s a ‘small parcel’ according to size, but it’s far below ‘small parcel’ regulations in terms of weight, so I don’t know what the postage would be. Also, the smallest parcel option is without tracking, so would I have to ‘upgrade’ to a larger parcel and pay more to get tracking?”

Postal Clerk: “Let me check.” *typing into his computer* “Actually, it seems like we can just ship this as an oversized letter. You’ll pay [lower price than I expected], and it comes with automatic tracking for overseas shipping.”

Me: “But it’s not a letter. It’s clearly a cardboard box. Won’t that cause trouble?”

Postal Clerk: “No, our system just scans the code; it doesn’t care about size.”

Me: “But there are postage regulations concerning size.”

Postal Clerk: “That’s just set as guidelines to ensure that shipping containers, vans, and such don’t get overloaded with large packages.”

Me: “Okay, sorry. I’m just worried it won’t be shipped, or it will get lost or something.”

Postal Clerk: “Of course. But watch this.”

(He prints the postage and puts it on my parcel. He then starts waving his hands above it in the way a magician might show off a trick, ending with, “Abracadabra!”)

Postal Clerk: “Tada! It is now… an oversized letter!

(He made me laugh, saved me money, and made sure I got tracking. The package arrived perfectly on time in the US. Best post office visit ever!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!