Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Out Of Date, Out Of Mind

, , , | Right | August 15, 2022

I’m working the bar when two younger-looking men come up. [Customer #1] is visibly older than [Customer #2].

Customer #1: “I’ll have [Drink].”

Customer #2: “Same here.”

Me: “ID, please.”

They procure their driver’s licenses without a fuss, laying them on the counter for me. [Customer #]1’s ID is valid and shows him to be of age; however, [Customer #2]’s ID is expired.

Me: *To [Customer #2]* “I’m sorry, this is expired. I can’t serve you.”

Customer #2: “Oh, come on. It doesn’t change how old I am!”

Me: “It doesn’t matter. Your ID has to be up-to-date to be valid. You can order something non-alcoholic, or you can…”

I trail off as I look at his license again. Then, I look at [Customer #1]’s license and realize the name and date of birth are identical on both.

Customer #1: “Well, that’s bulls***. What, it’s expired, so you have to assume he’s eight years younger than he says?”

Me: “Not necessarily, Mr. [Full Name on the ID].” *To [Customer #2]* “Or is that you?”

The two realized their trick was up, seized their licenses, and fled the bar. I’d often wondered myself why an ID had to be up-to-date to be considered valid, but now I know why — the two looked similar enough that the out-of-date license genuinely looked like [Customer #2]!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!