Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Oreos And Plain Old Milk Just Don’t Cut It Anymore

| Working | August 2, 2016

(I work in a confectionary store. We’re on a little street in the historic area of town, where many ritzy boutiques and the like are located. This happens after lunch, when many of the small restaurants are closing for the day.)

Manager: “Ugh, I’m feeling slow. I’m going to put on some coffee.”

(She starts setting it up, but quickly realizes we don’t have any creamer left.)

Manager: “D****t! I can’t drink coffee without creamer!”

(We’re pretty laidback and low-key in this job. One of my other coworkers starts teasing the manager about her need for caffeine, while I just smirk to myself. As the manager keeps grumbling, my coworker gets a bright idea.)

Coworker: “Hey, I bet they’ve got creamer down at [Restaurant on corner]. [My Name], go get some so she’ll stop grumbling!”

Me: “Okay.”

(Here in this area, the businesses often give small free stuff to other merchants and their employees, so a little creamer shouldn’t be bad. I go down to the corner, where they’re prepping for closing. There’s only one customer left, enjoying her food. The owner is standing near the register and greets me. We’ve never been formally introduced, but I’m wearing my distinctive smock, so he knows where I work.)

Owner: “Hi, how can I help you?”

Me: “Can ya’ll spare some creamer? We don’t have any, and my manager really needs coffee.”

Owner: *goes behind counter, comes back with full, unopened half-n-half carton* “This good?”

Me: *completely surprised by such generosity* “Uh, yeah, that’s good.”

Owner: “Cool. Just have her buy another carton, and bring it back within the week. Enjoy.”

(I head back down to our shop. When my manager sees the carton, she’s flabbergasted.)

Manager: “[My Name]! I didn’t need all this!”

Me: “Well, it’s what he gave me, and it seemed wrong to refuse. He says you just need to buy another one, and bring it in by next week. Doesn’t have to be the same brand.”

Manager: “I don’t have time to go buy him creamer! Here, take him some cookies!”

(One of our candies is a chocolate-covered sandwich-type cookie. I grab two two-packs, walk back down to the corner, and enter. Everyone, from the line cook to the owner to the one single customer, is still there.)

Me: “Yeah, so, she likes the creamer, but doesn’t want to go buy you another one. You cool with some cookies?” *holds up packs*

Owner: *eyebrows raised* “Cookies for creamer? Yeah, sure.”

(He took the cookies, while everyone, including me, laughed. My manager was happy with the creamer, and told everyone about how I’m an awesome deal-maker. I just hope she doesn’t expect me to be the go-between for other trades!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!