Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Option Overload

, , , , | Right | February 29, 2012

(We’ve been experiencing an increase in calls about things customers can do on their own on our website. This results in longer wait times for customers with issues that can only be resolved by speaking with someone at the call center. Because of this, we’ve been told to promote self-serve options on our website at the beginning of each call.)

Me: “Okay, and while we’re waiting for your account to load up, I’d just like to take this time to let you know about the self-serve options on our website. You can review your invoice, make a payment, and even cancel or activate features or change your phone number.”

Customer: “Listen, lady, I don’t want a lecture on what I can do myself. I want you to do as I tell you to. That’s what customer service is. If I wanted to do it myself, I would.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, I didn’t mean to imply that you had to do those things online. Lots of customers just aren’t aware of the options available online, so they end up waiting on hold for a representative when they don’t need to.”

Customer: “Don’t tell me what to do!”

Me: “I didn’t mean to. I was just explaining why I had mentioned our website.”

Customer: “Stop talking about your website!”

Me: “I-I’m sorry, sir. How can I help you?”

Customer: “Well, apparently you can’t! You want me to do all the work myself!”

Me: “No, that’s not what I want at all. I was just letting you know—”

Customer: “I want you to apologize.”

Me: “Pardon me?”

Customer: “I want you to say you’re sorry for telling me about the website.”

Me: “Believe me, sir, I am sorry I ever mentioned it.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!