Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Open Late For Coo

, , | Working | May 14, 2016

(My husband and I are on a road trip with our 8-month-old daughter. We had planned to drive for a short time, find a restaurant for a late dinner, and then keep driving to the next city to get a hotel. We get caught up in a horrible traffic jam that takes over an hour to get through. By the time we are out of it, it is almost 10 pm. Luckily, our daughter is fine – she had slept for most of the time, and when she got hungry, I was able to give her a bottle and some snacks while my husband drove the car.)

Me: “Thank goodness we’re out of that traffic jam, but boy, I’m starving.”

Husband: “Me, too, but I’m not sure if anything is going to be open anymore.”

Me: “There’s a restaurant; the sign says “Open”, and I see people inside.”

Husband: “Hooray! We’re saved!”

(We got out of the car and started walking towards the restaurant. We were almost at the door when one of the employees, seeing us, flipped the sign to “Closed”.)

Employee: *through the door* “I’m really sorry, but it’s past closing time and our grill is shut down for the night.”

Husband: “Oh, dear! We were afraid of that.”

(We turn to leave. At that moment, my daughter wakes up in my arms and coos adorably at the employee.)

Employee: “Oh! You have a baby! We can’t turn you away with nothing to eat. Come on in!”

Me: “Really?”

Employee: “Sure! One thing, though; we can only serve you sandwiches, since our grill is closed.”

Husband: “That’s absolutely fine. Thank you so much!”

(We quickly ate a very decent meal of sandwiches and salad. We made sure we left a generous tip. Thank you, restaurant employee, for bending the rules and not sending us into the night hungry!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!