Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Only Hold Required Is The One To Put You In

, , , | Right | June 14, 2018

(I am working in the fitting room. I have just finished helping out a customer. She was obnoxious with me in another part of the clothing department over the quality of our activewear line. She and her daughter have finally come out of the fitting room.)

Me: *bracing myself while still keeping my happy, helpful spirit* “Did everything work out, ladies?”

Customer: *fake smiles as she sets a small pile of yoga pants down on the counter* “Not really.” *leans on the counter and reads off my nametag* “Oh, [My Name], could you put these on hold for me, please? You know how to put something on hold, right?”

(Her daughter is quickly embarrassed. Meanwhile, I am offended by this, considering she is not only insulting my capabilities, but she is also talking to me in a baby tone of voice. I’m assuming it is because I look like a teenager, so I just let it slide for the time being.)

Me: “Yes, ma’am. I can take care of that for you. Can I get your name, please?”

Customer: “My name is [Customer]. Oh, could you do me a favor, [My Name]? Could you please write the word ‘important’ next to that and underline it a few times, so everyone will know not to put it back on the floor until I come to pick it up tomorrow?”

Me: *looks at her oddly* “Um, yeah, sure thing.”

Customer: “Well, it’s just that I have trouble at your other stores when I put things on hold. So, again, just put it down that I’m an important customer at your store, if that’s not asking too much.”

Me: *laughs awkwardly* “Nope. Not at all.”

(I did happen to inform her that my store will only hold items until the store closes. In some cases, we will hold something for 24 hours, but otherwise, I can only hold her stuff until we closed.)

Customer: “Well, I’m not going to leave and come back. I can’t buy these today, so you’ll just have to hold them until tomorrow. I can always talk to your supervisor if there is a problem.” *smirks at me*

Me: *faking a smile at this point* “No need. I’ll just go ahead and extend it until eight pm tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

Customer: “Actually, there is. What’s your name again, sweetie?” *proceeds to read my nametag for fifth time* “Oh, [My Name], if you are here tomorrow, can you make sure that my hold stays back here and doesn’t get put back? It has to stay back here until I pick up my daughter after school. If it’s put back when I come in, I’m going to have to tell your manager that you put it away, so don’t put it away, okay?”

Me: *eye twitches* “Sure thing. It’ll be back here waiting for you. No problem.”

Customer: *smirks at her daughter, then at me* “All right, thanks, [My Name]. I’ll be looking for you tomorrow. You’ll be back here, right?”

Me: *teeth clenching* “It’s a possibility.”

Customer: *turns to leave finally* “Okay, sweetie. I’ll keep an eye out!”

Me: *takes a deep, calming breath to keep from screaming*

(Her hold was back in the fitting room for an additional day after fighting with me to extend it once more. The day after, my coworker put it back after I left a note at the fitting room with a warning about the crazy lady customer. She showed up moments after and was way more rude to him than she was to me. At least I warned him ahead of time about what he would be expecting.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!