Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Person’s Error Is Another’s Free Groceries

, , , , , | Working | October 3, 2022

I placed an online grocery delivery order with one of Australia’s largest supermarkets. I realised the morning of the delivery (after the cutoff to change things) that the payment information on the order was wrong — my fault. The order had not yet been shopped, so they hadn’t attempted to charge the card.

I called customer care and explained the situation to them. They told me I couldn’t make changes after the cutoff. I had to admit defeat. I knew the order would be cancelled if the card couldn’t be charged, and sure enough, around midday, I got the email telling me that the order was cancelled.

But mid-afternoon, the order was delivered.

Me: *To the delivery driver* “I got an email that this order was cancelled because the payment information was wrong.”

Driver: *Shrugging* “Call customer care.”

I spent the entire afternoon calling customer care and the store that filled the order.

Customer Care: “Because the order was cancelled, the system doesn’t give us the option to let you pay now.”

Eventually, the lady told me:

Customer Care: “We’ll have the store investigate how your order was delivered without payment, and we’ll let you know.”

Around three weeks later, I finally got an email from the customer service team.

Manager: “Dear [My Name], thank you for contacting us regarding your recent [Store] order.

“I am writing to you in regards to your query about your cancelled order. Once an order is cancelled, it cannot be reinstated. It is entirely the store’s error that they have delivered a cancelled order. Unfortunately, we cannot take payment for that order, but we certainly appreciate the sentiment.

“In the rare cases that this happens, the customer is entitled to keep the order as we advise that we cannot take it back due to health and safety concerns. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to call us at [phone number].

“Once again, [My Name], my sincere apologies for being unable to meet our goal and provide you with a convenient service.

“Yours Sincerely, [Manager].”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!