Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Kid’s Loss Is Another Man’s Scam

, , , , , | Legal | December 19, 2020

I find a child’s bike dumped in the bushes near my house. It’s in great condition so I wonder if it’s been lost or stolen.

I put a post in the social media group for my area.

Post: “Found: child’s bike, [make and model], in [Area]. If this is yours, please let me know what the unusual stickers are to claim it. I will hand this in to the police station if it’s not collected by the end of the week.”

A guy who has no children on his profile comments on my post.

Guy: “Can I have this, please?”

Me: “If this is yours, please tell me what the stickers are.”

Guy: “Yes, it has stickers. When can I collect?”

Random Person: “It’s not for sale. It’s been lost.”

Guy: “I want it. Give it to me.”

Me: “I don’t believe you. You can claim it from the police station when I can get over there and drop it off.”

He messaged me a few times privately, even offering me money as a “reward,” but I decided to hand it to the police. A few days after I did, a woman messaged me and told me it was her son’s bike, some kids had taken it, and she had only just seen my post.

I regretfully told her she needed to go to the police station to go through the process with them.

Happily, I later got a message with a photo of a very pleased looking kid on his bike. It looks like it all worked out.


This story is part of our Best Of December 2020 roundup!

Read the next Best Of December 2020 roundup story!

Read the Best Of December 2020 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!