Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Extra Mile Towards Losing Faith In Humanity

, , , | Right | December 1, 2018

(I work at a popular coffee shop as a supervisor. One year we have a promotion going on that if you buy a pound of coffee you get a free airtight coffee container. A day after the promotion ends, the containers go from being free to being $14.95, about the same price as a pound of coffee. As I am doing inventory, a customer approaches me holding one of the containers.)

Customer: “Excuse me. I thought we got a free pound of coffee if we purchased this?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but that deal ended yesterday.”

Customer: *looking sad* “Oh… I wanted to send it to my son in Iraq. I know that coffee lasts longer this way, but I can’t afford to buy both. Thank you. I will just buy the coffee, then.”

Me: “Ma’am, thank you for not asking me to somehow extend this sale for you. I very much appreciate it. My husband is also in the military and just got back from Iraq himself a couple of months ago. I know how important those care packages can be. I actually get a free pound of coffee every week as a mark out, and I would like to give it to you for your son.”

Customer: “Oh, my! That is so nice of you! Thank you so much. He will love this.”

(I get her rung up and get her the pound of coffee, and she leaves happy. I go back to doing inventory. About twenty minutes later the phone rings. One of my baristas answers it and calls me over; it is someone from another store. Supervisors always deal with these calls, as they are usually someone looking for help covering hours at their store, or they are out of a product and are calling around to see if anyone else has extra.)

Me: “Hi. This is [My Name]; how can I help you?”

Other Supervisor: “Hi, [My Name]. This is [Other Supervisor] from [downtown branch]. I have a customer here, and she said that you gave her free coffee and told her you would have given her more but were out of the promotional containers.”

Me: “No… We have a ton of those containers; I gave her my coffee mark out.”

Other Supervisor: “Yeah… I thought it was something like that. I will deal with her.”

(I love working customer service, but every time something like this happens it makes it harder to go the extra mile for my next customer.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!