Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Book Closes, Another Opens

| Working | August 4, 2013

(I work as an assistant for a book publishing company, which consists of many different tasks, such as helping them with their homepage, and correcting spellcheck on books. It’s a small company, with only around six people working there, and I get along fine with everybody. My boss has been telling me how much they’re going to need my help in September when the city’s annual book-fair is taking place, but one day in June, the assistant manager sits down with me.)

Assistant Manager: “So [my name]… you’ve been here for quite some time now, and we really like having you here. But it looks like after August, we won’t be having that much work left for you here.”

(I’m obviously very shocked to hear this, but handle myself well.)

Me: “Well, be sure to call me in anyway if you need help at the book fair; I know [boss] said you’ll have a lot to do.”

(On my last day of work, nobody mentions at all that it’s my last day. Nobody asks me what I’ll be doing next, or wishes me any luck in future employment. I’m starting to wonder if I’m actually being fired behind everybody’s back.)

Assistant Manager: *at the end of the day* “Well… maybe we’ll see you again at the book-fair.”

(They don’t call me in at the book-fair, and for almost six months I am trying different jobs until I find full-term employment again. Fast forward until May this year, and I suddenly get an unexpected call.)

Assistant Manager: “Hi there, this is [book company] calling; how are you?”

Me: “Uh, fine thank you. And you?”

Assistant Manager: “Just fine, just fine; I called to check if you could come by next week and help us out with some work here at the office with our homepage?”

Me: “Well, no, I’m full-term employed now at [company name], and we’re starting a new project this week. I can’t help you there.”

Assistant Manager: “Oh, I see! Well how good that things worked out for you!”

(After I hang up, I reflect for a moment on that she seemed surprised that I had a new job, almost a year after they’d written me up. I almost feel a little insulted. I suddenly get a text message.)

Assistant Manager: “Do you think you could come in just on Friday and Saturday?”

Me: “No.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!