Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Bag For Another

, , , , | Right | August 8, 2019

(The company I work for has a policy of charging for bags — 1p for standard, varying for reusables. Most customers are fine with it, but some aren’t. I normally work on the till. A lady no more than fifty years old walks up with two magazines in hand.)

Me: “Hello.” *scan the items, sub-total of £3* “It costs a penny for a bag; would you like one?”

Customer: “1p for a bag? That’s ridiculous! You should give out bags for free!” *starts to try and look over the till*

Me: “I am so sorry, but it is company policy and I have to charge for them.”

(A supervisor starts to look over but doesn’t interfere as I have it well in hand.)

Customer: “Hmph, fine! I will just put them into my handbag, then. How much is it?”

Me: “The total is £3.”

Customer: “Here you go.”

Me: “Thank you.”

Customer: “Whatever.”

(She walks out of the store. As she goes out I just shake my head. About fifteen minutes later, she walks back in looking angry.)

Customer: “Did anyone hand in a small brown purse?”

Me: “Hmm, no. Nobody has handed in a small brown purse.”

Customer: “Oh, okay.”

(She walks back out again and returns back in about five minutes, and sounds angry.)

Customer: “Are you sure nobody handed in a purse?!”

Me: “Yes, nobody has handed in anything, and I haven’t moved that far from the till, and I haven’t spotted a purse.”

Customer: “Hmph!” *walks out, and says just as she reaches the door* “This wouldn’t have happened if you’d just given me a bag!”

(I am amazed that it is somehow my fault. The next day, around 2:00 pm, the store phone rings. The supervisor answers it.)

Supervisor: “Hello, [Company and Branch], [Supervisor] speaking. How may I help you today?”

Customer: “I came into your store yesterday, and I have misplaced my purse. Has it been handed in?”

Supervisor: “No, I haven’t seen a purse handed in.”

Customer: “Well, where else is it, then? If that lad who served me had given me a bag I wouldn’t have lost it.”

Supervisor: “Madam, are you blaming a member of staff for not giving you a bag as the reason for losing your purse?”

Customer: “Yes! Are you going to reprimand him?”

Supervisor: “No, as it is company policy to charge for bags, so he was well within his rights to do such a thing, and it’s not the responsibility of the sales assistant to keep an eye on your purse, now, is it?”

Customer: “Well, he was snotty to me!”

Supervisor: “No, he wasn’t. I overheard the entire thing, and he was very polite and patient the entire time. I am sorry, but I can’t be of any help.”

(My supervisor then put the phone down. No purse was ever handed in, and we haven’t seen the lady since.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!