Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

On The Need For Hazard Pay, Part 18

, , | Right | March 26, 2019

(I’ve worked for this store for around three years, in three different locations. Tonight was the first time I’ve ever encountered a customer that made me want to take a shower after speaking to him. About five minutes before my shift ends and the customer on the other side wants a kids book called ‘Trick or Treat.’ I know we haven’t received our stock of Halloween books yet but I figure I can go ahead and order him one.)

Me: “Do you know the author’s name?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Okay, do you know if there’s any special character or animal associated with it, such as [Popular Children’s Book Character #1] or [Popular Children’s Book Character #2]?”

Customer: “No, it’s just called Trick or Treat.”

Me: “Well, unfortunately, there’s many books with that title, so without a character or author I can’t order it for you.”

Customer: “Try [Author #1].”

Me: “She does have a book called Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet. Is that the book you’re looking for?”

Customer: “What’s the title?”

Me:Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet.”

Customer: “Wow, really? What’s the description?”

(I pull up the blurb and tell him the first couple of sentences. At this point, he asks me to repeat the title and then the description once more. Alarm bells start ringing in my head and I remind him that the book is not in store and that we won’t have any Halloween books for a couple of more.)

Customer: “Right, I guess I’ll try again in a few weeks. What about books on torture?”

Me: “In… the… children’s section?”

(Yes, I did say it exactly like that. This being my second day at this new location, my new coworkers definitely gave me some strange looks at this point.)

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “Sir, the children’s section won’t have books like that.”

Customer: “Oh, okay. What about in your historical war reference section?”

(Those alarm bells from earlier are now a full-fledged siren. Around a year or so ago, I heard a story about a guy who would call stores until he got a female worker and then ask them to describe different books, which was later determined to be his kinks. These books included torture books, especially foot torture. Now I’m just looking to get off the phone in as quick as a manner possible.)

Me: “We don’t have any in the store, unfortunately. Do you have an author in mind?”

Customer: “What about [Author #2]?”

Me: “Unfortunately my system doesn’t pull anything up for that author.”

Customer: “Oh, that’s too bad.”

Me: “Have a great night, sir.”

(I hung up the phone, called my manager, and told him I was leaving, and clocked out before the phone could ring again.)

Related:

On The Need For Hazard Pay, Part 17

On The Need For Hazard Pay, Part 16

On The Need For Hazard Pay, Part 15

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!