Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

On A Roll About The Roll

, , | Right | August 12, 2013

(My boyfriend and I are at our regular grocery store. We always get in this particular cashier’s line when she’s working because we connect on a “we both work with customers daily and it’s awful” level. The customer ahead of us is giving her a hard time.)

Customer: “This should only be $1.50!”

Cashier: “It’s ringing up as $2.00. You may have picked up the wrong item.”

Customer: “No! This is on special! It said it was on sale.”

Cashier: “Hold on, please; I’ll check with the bakery.”

(The customer pouts as the cashier calls on the phone nearby. We only hear her half of the conversation. She gives an item number and describes the item. She finishes the conversation and then speaks to the customer.)

Cashier: “There is a special on this item, but not in this packaging. This has six rolls in it; the one on sale has four. It’s not even a big difference; you’re paying 50 cents more for two more rolls.”

Customer: “That’s not right!”

Cashier: “I just called the bakery. I just checked. You can put this back and get the one on sale or you can get this one.”

Customer: “Okay. Okay, just this, okay, fine, fine, fine.”

(The cashier finishes with the customer. The customer walks away.)

My Boyfriend: *grins* “Just another day, huh?”

Cashier: “Seriously. Fifty cents for two more rolls. Oh, hey, look. She’s going over to customer service.”

(We all look over as she brings up her receipt and more or less yells at the representative. She points over to our cashier and we watch the representative get on a phone.)

Cashier: “Great, looks like she’ll be getting that discount. The manager always caves in to these people.”

(My boyfriend and I simultaneously groan.)

Me: “We know how that is.”

Cashier: “I have to stop myself from yelling at these people. I tell myself, I love my job! I really do. I really… really do. Really.”


This story is part of our I Love My Job roundup!

Read the next story in this roundup!

Read the I Love My Job roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!