Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Oh, Cry Me A (State Dividing) River

, , , , , | Right | January 25, 2023

I work in a small bar in a tourist town in Minnesota, across the river from Wisconsin. At the time, Minnesota has some archaic blue laws surrounding the on-site sale of alcohol on Sundays.

A Minnesota boater comes off the river and asks for a twelve-pack and a bottle of vodka.

Me: “Sorry, sir, it is Sunday, and under Minnesota law, we cannot sell alcohol for off-site consumption.”

Boater: “But I can buy it on the other side of the river.”

Me: “That’s Wisconsin, sir; their laws are different. If you want that, you’ll need to go there. So sorry.”

Boater: “We’re docked here; that’s just stupid. Everyone knows that law is not enforced. It wouldn’t hurt anyone. Come on.”

Me: “Sorry, we could lose our license and I could be fined. Around here, this law is rather strictly enforced.”

Boater: “I live in the cities, and no one there cares. Everyone does it. There’d be a big tip in it for you.”

Me: “No can do, sorry.”

Boater: “Your laws are stupid. Do something! Just look the other way.”

Me: “I live in Wisconsin. We don’t have the same laws about alcohol sales. But since you live in this state, maybe you should do something about your laws. I have other customers. Excuse me, sir.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!