Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Number Of The Beastly Coincidences

, , , , , , | Right | September 29, 2014

(I work in a small corner shop. It is Halloween and we’ve been busy on-and-off with kids making their way around the estate trick-or-treating and coming in to buy drinks. I’m approached by a kid I estimate to be in his early teens.)

Me: “Hey, kiddo! Having fun?”

Kid: “Yeah, not a bad haul so far. Just a bit thirsty; nobody hands out drinks!”

Me: “No, I suppose they’re bulkier and more expensive, too.”

Kid: “Yeah, you’re probably right and th—” *sees the total on my screen* “Aww, £6.67? Come on! Could you give me a penny discount?”

Me: “Er…”

Kid: “Guess my maths isn’t as good as I thought. I wanted it to be £6.66 for Halloween!”

Me: “Well, I’m not authorised to give discounts unless the items are damaged, but [Similar Drinks] are a penny cheaper, so you could swap out one of your [Original Items] if it really bothers you that much?”

Kid: “Yes, please! One sec while I take this back and swap it!”

(By this point, there’s a small queue and the boy’s friends, who are waiting outside and clearly can’t hear what he’s doing but see him sprint back to the fridges, yell through the door for him to hurry up.)

Me: “Okay, buddy! That’s now £6.66.”

Kid: “Thanks! Can I get a receipt?”

Me: “Sure, have a good Halloween!”

(As the kid approaches the door he starts waving his receipt at his friends.)

Kid: “Guys! GUYS! LOOK! Weirdest coincidence ever! I just grabbed some random drinks and the total was £6.66. How spooky is that?!”

(The customer behind him turned to me and just raised her eyebrows!)


This story is part of our Halloween roundup!

Read the next Halloween roundup story!

Read the Halloween roundup!


This story is featured in our Religious Customers roundup!

Click here to read the next story.

Click here to return to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!