Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Now Has Self-Scanning Under Their Belt

| Right | March 27, 2014

(I am working the self-scans when I see a customer put some grapes on the electronic scale and enter the produce number.)

Self-Scan: “Place your item on the belt.”

(The customer leaves the grapes on the scale.)

Self Scan: “If you wish to purchase this item, please place it on the belt.”

(The customer still keeps the grapes on the scale.)

Self-Scan: “Please remove all items and try again.”

(After the self-scan says this, the customer takes the grapes off the scale and places it on the belt. The customer then tries to scan another item but nothing happens.)

Self-Scan: “Please remove all items from the front belt.”

(The customer takes the grapes off the belt, places them on the scale and re-enters the produce. Once again, when the customer is told to move her item to the belt, she leaves it on the scale. She then takes the grapes from the scale and places it on the belt. Confused about what is happening, she calls me over.)

Me: “Yes, ma’am. How may I help you?”

Customer: “I keep trying to purchase these grapes but every time I put them on the belt, it tells me to take it off.”

(I put the customer’s grapes on the scale, enter the produce number, and place them on the belt when I’m told.)

Customer: “What did you do?”

Me: “I entered your grapes, weighed them, and placed them on the belt when told to.”

Customer: “But that’s what I did.”

Me: “Actually, what you did was put them on the belt after the self-scan told you to remove them.”

Customer: “So when do I put them on the belt?”

Me: “The first time it tells you to.”

Customer: “So when the self-scan tells me to put something on the belt, that’s when I do it?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Customer: “You learn something new every day!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!