Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Nothing Worth Mentioning

| Right | February 7, 2014

(A man brings his minivan in to our shop for a suspected power steering leak. He is not sure exactly what’s leaking, but he saw a lot of red fluid underneath his car. After the mechanic finds the leak I call the customer.)

Me: “We found that one of the hoses was starting to crack at a bend. The dealer is the only one that has this part available in town. The part is $185, the labour for replacing the hose is rated at an hour which is $110, the diagnosis time is $49, taxes etc. will bring the total repair to $368.00.”

Customer: “I understand the part and the labour costs, but I don’t necessarily see the need for a diagnosis. Couldn’t you have found out what was leaking without diagnosing it? That’s $50 for nothing, really.”

Me: “Well… we could replace all the power steering parts for about $2500, or we could find out exactly what is leaking and just fix that. What would you prefer?”

(He opted for the $368.00 repair that included a ‘$50 for nothing, really’ diagnosis.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!