Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Nothing Like Sports To Bring Us Together

, , , , , , | Working | March 29, 2021

I am at the window of a well-known fast food chicken restaurant that is closed on Sundays. As it is currently in the negatives temperature-wise, I’m wearing a scarf and a knit hat. Both my scarf and hat are the green and gold colors of a professional football team that happens to be rivals of the favorite purple and gold team that most people in my area root for.

[Cashier #1] opens the window.

Cashier #1: “Your total will be—”

He then stops, stares at me, scowls, and slams the window shut. I sit there, confused, for a few moments, trying to figure out what happened, when the window opens again.

Cashier #2: “Hi, what are you still waiting for?”

Me: “Everything. The guy started to take my payment and then, for some reason, stopped and slammed the window shut.”

[Cashier #2] looked confused but took my payment and said she’d grab a manager while I waited for my food.

After a few moments, the manager came with my food and an apology. Turns out the cashier was a HUGE fan of the team most people in the area support, and the team I support had beat them in a playoff game the night before, knocking his team out of Superbowl contention. Seeing my hat and scarf, he refused to wait on me.

The manager apologized and gave me a free cookie and shake for my troubles. I’ve been back through that drive-thru several times and haven’t seen that cashier since.


This story is part of our Super Bowl roundup!

Read the next Super Bowl roundup story!

Read the Super Bowl roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!