Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Very Console-ing Behavior

, , , | Right | July 13, 2021

I’m the assistant manager of a local video game store. I’ve been out for a couple months due to health reasons, but I have been back to work for about a week. While I’m used to my fair share of dumb and unreasonable customers, usually it’s nothing too outrageous. Usually.

Customer: “I need a [Game Console].”

Me: “Okay, we have a couple of models in stock right now. They’ll be over in this case.”

Because of how we do things, we don’t sell new consoles. Any system we have is used, and we’ve only ever had used.

Customer: “I want a new one. I don’t wanna give my kid something that’s been touched.”

Me: “We don’t have any new [Console]s in stock, but there’s a [Retail Chain] just up the road that might have them.”

Customer: “I’m not going there. I want one here.”

Me: “We have no new systems. Not in the case, not in the back, nowhere.”

Customer: “Then order me one! I’m not leaving without one!”

I’m pretty annoyed already. Most people just settle for used or go somewhere else.

Me: “I can’t order anything for you. We don’t buy new systems.”

Customer: “WELL, BUY ONE OFF OF [LARGE ONLINE RETAILER]!”

Luckily for me, the owner of the store lets us deal with these types of customers however we see fit — within reason, of course.

Me: “Nah. You’re gonna leave.”

Customer: “No, I won’t! You’re going to get me a [Console]! For free now, since you’ve given me trouble!”

Me: “Nope. I’ve told you we don’t have new systems. We have never had new systems and probably never will.”

Customer: “WELL, I—”

Me: “You’re going to leave.”

Customer: “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!”

Me: “Someone far too old to be throwing a tantrum in a store because they can’t get their way. You’ve got one minute to leave before I call the cops for trespassing.”

She glares at me and storms out. I think nothing of it until a couple of hours later. My coworker tells me someone on the phone wants a manager. The store manager and owner are both out today, so I go to answer.

Me: “Hi, manager here.”

Customer: “One of your employees was so rude to me! I asked for a [Console] and she just threw me out!”

I recognize the voice as the woman from earlier.

Me: “She kicked you out just for asking about a [Console]?”

Customer: “Yes! I want her fired!”

Me: “Hmm… you sure you didn’t demand something we don’t have, after being told several times we didn’t have it, throw a screaming fit demanding it, and have to be told to leave several times?”

Customer: “THAT B**** IS LYING TO YOU! I did nothing wrong!”

Me: “I am that b****.”

Customer: “YOU F****** C***! I WANTED A MANAGER!”

Me: “I am the manager.”

Customer: “YOU’RE F****** NOT!”

Me: “If you’re gonna scream like that, I’m hanging up.”

Customer: “YOU’D BETTER—”

I hang up. She immediately calls back and starts yelling again.

Me: “Ma’am. I gave you options. You insisted on being unreasonably rude. Then, you thought it would be okay to call with a fake story to get someone fired because you didn’t get your way. I’m going to hang up again. If you continue to call back, I will consider that harassment and give your information to the cops, seeing as we have caller ID that gives me your full name.”

Customer: “YOU CAN’T—”

Me: “I can and I will. Repeatedly calling someone to yell at them is harassment. You also are banned from the store. If you come back in, we will call the cops. Understood?”

Customer: “I… You…”

Me: “Do not call back.”

I hang up again. My coworker shakes his head at me.

Coworker: “You haven’t missed that part of this place, have you?”

Me: “Nope. Not one bit.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!