Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not The Pet That’s Acting Rabid

, , , | Right | February 1, 2019

(I work at a pretty popular pet store in the USA. Our pet store happens to have a boarding kennel for dogs. We can take in any type of dog as long as they are friendly and the owners can prove current vaccinations. I have dealt with many difficult customers in my years working here, but this one takes the cake.)

Customer: “Hello. I would like to board my dog here soon, and I know you need vaccinations, so here they are.” *holds out an odd booklet of some sort*

Me: *examines booklet* “Ma’am, this is not in English; I cannot read this.”

Customer: “No, you can. It says, ‘rabies,’ right at the top! It’s fine!”

Me: “Well, yes, it does say that, but we require proof of other vaccinations, as well, not just the rabies.”

Customer: “He has those. Look!” *points to random scribbling that makes no sense to me*

Me: “I do apologize, but I cannot accept these as valid vaccinations, because I cannot discern what is what. I don’t know this language, and the only English on here says, ‘Other vaccinations,’ which does not help me. I wish I could help, but I cannot.”

Customer: *completely irate at this point* “NO! YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND. HE HAS ALL HIS VACCINATIONS; THEY’RE RIGHT HERE! I CAN READ THEM TO YOU!”

Me: “With all due respect, ma’am, I am unable to accept your word as proof. I need actual evidence of vaccinations from a licensed vet.”

Customer: “WELL, IT’S NOT MY FAULT YOU CAN’T F****** READ THE F****** PAPERWORK!”

Me: *remaining completely unfazed, even though she is shouting right in my face* “Ma’am, there is no need to yell. I have already told you these are unacceptable and I will not budge on this. If you take the paperwork to a local vet and they give the okay on these vaccinations, then we will accept them. Otherwise, we will not accept them and you cannot leave your dog here.”

Customer: “THIS IS RIDICULOUS! JUST LOOK UP THE CODES FOR THE VACCINES; IT IS UNIVERSAL! JUST LOOK IT UP!”

Me: “I cannot because I am not a vet, nor do I have access to that information. If you g—“

Customer: “YOU ARE USELESS! WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?! HE HAS THE VACCINES, SO YOU HAVE TO TAKE HIM!”

Me: “No, ma’am, I do not. We need proper vaccination records. There is a vet very near here. Take the vaccines there, ask them to look them up, and have them call us. We will take them if they are approved.”

Customer: *finally seeming to understand* “Okay, fine. I will.”

Me: “Good. Is there anything else I can help you with today?”

Customer: “Yeah, I am bringing my friend’s dog in, too. Do I need to bring anything for him?”

Me: “Yes, we need proof of current vaccinations for him, too.”

Customer: “BUT WHY!?”

Me: *internally screaming*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!