Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not The Only Thing In Need Of Maintenance

, , , , | Right | December 1, 2010

(We’re closed for maintenance and have shut off all the exterior lights, including those in the drive-thru. We also put a sign on the drive-thru menu stating we’re closed. A car pulls into the drive-thru, and I put on a headset. All of this takes place via the drive-thru speaker.)

Me: “Hi, I’m sorry, but we’re currently closed for maintenance. Our other location down the street will be happy to serve you.”

Customer: “Hey, we just need a minute. Your lights are off, and it’s hard to see the menu.”

Me: “Sorry, I said we’re closed for maintenance. That’s why the lights are off.”

Customer: “Okay, we’re ready.”

Me: “Sorry, I said we’re closed. Our other store just a few blocks down the street will be happy to help.”

(The customer says their order.)

Customer: “Hello? Did you get that?”

Me: *gives up* “Welcome to [Restaurant]. Please listen carefully as our menu options have changed due to the store being closed for maintenance. For service in English, please press one.” *switches to French* “Pour service en Francais, poussez le deux.” *switches to Spanish* “Para el servicio en Español, presione por favor el numero tres.”

(Faint laughter as the rest of the car’s passengers start laughing.)

Customer: “Uh…” *whispers* “What do I do?” *laughter from other passengers* “Uh… one?”

Me: “Thank you for calling [Restaurant]. Our hours of operation are 7:00 am to 3:00 am, except today, because we are closed… due… to… maintenance. Please leave a message after the beep. BEEP!”

(There was a squeal of tires as the car peeled away, the rest of the passengers killing themselves laughing.)


This story is part of our Oblivious Customers roundup!

Read the next Oblivious Customers roundup story!

Read the Oblivious Customers roundup!


This story is part of our Bad-Listener Customers roundup!

Read the next Bad-Listener Customers roundup story!

Read the Bad-Listener Customers roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!