Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Suitable For Spanish Fly

| Right | January 17, 2013

(Two customers, one male, one female, with notable Spanish accents approach. While I’m Caucasian, I’m quite fluent in Spanish.)

Male Customer: “Yes, we’d like to return this coffee maker. It doesn’t work.”

Me: “Certainly. May I see your receipt?”

(The male customer looks slightly taken aback.)

Male Customer: “Oh, uh, we threw that away.”

Me: “Ah, well I’m sorry but the only thing we can do then is give you a store credit.”

Male Customer: “Oh, that’s fine. We’ll find something else.”

Me: “Superb. Just let me check inside and we’ll take care of this.”

(I proceed to open the box.)

Male Customer: “Que? What are you doing?”

Me: “I have to check the product, sir. It’ll only take a moment.”

(The male customer looks increasingly taken aback, and I quickly find out why. While the coffee maker is a model we carry, it has a different brand name printed on it, and the plug is visibly a three prong European version, as opposed to the two prong U.S. version.)

Me: “Sir, are you sure you purchased this in this store?”

Male Customer: “Yes, certain!”

Me: “I’m afraid I’m going to have to get my manager. Just a moment.”

(I page the manager on duty, explain what’s happening and then show him the coffee maker.)

Manager: “Sir, I’m sorry but we’re not going to be able to credit you for this. You can’t possibly have purchased this here because this is the international version of the machine. We only sell the U.S. version.”

Male Customer: *sputters, then hangs his head* “Sorry, I must have made a mistake.”

(He takes the box back and turns to leave, whereupon the female customer whacks him upside the head.)

Female Customer: *in Spanish* “Oh, no! ‘Americans are all idiots!’ ‘They won’t check if it’s the right item!’ ‘They don’t know about international voltage!’ You are a f***ing disgrace, you know that!? No way is that going back in my luggage for the flight home!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!