Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Sold On Your Explanation Of It Being Sold

, , , , | Right | November 8, 2018

(A customer has come in looking for a necklace she put on hold. We are unable to find it, which means that she probably didn’t pick it up when she said she would and that we put it back on the floor. I offer to help her find it again, but it is a piece of clearance jewelry so chances are it has already sold.)

Customer: “Are you sure it’s not behind that counter there?”

Me: “Ma’am, we only have two hold spots. One is underneath the register, which is filled currently with only associate holds, and one in the safe for fine jewelry. I checked personally and it is not there.”

Customer: “How do I know that an associate didn’t take my hold and put their name on it?”

Me: “None of the holds in there match the description you’re giving me. Chances are it was put on the floor and has already been picked up.”

(She continues looking for it but finally gives up and wanders off. I figure she has left, since she checked out prior to even looking for the necklace she was missing. I begin working on switching cases, and I have filled a basket filled with fine jewelry items — pearls, diamonds, gold rings, etc. — and am just about to move when she suddenly appears again.)

Customer: “Is my necklace in there?”

Me: “No, ma’am. This is all from a case I just emptied. No costume jewelry would be locked up like that, and I already told you that it probably got sold.”

Customer: “Can I look just to make sure?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but no. There is a lot of fine jewelry in here and I can’t have customers handling it. I assure you that we do not have it.”

Customer: “Fine.”

(I later caught her watching me as I filled the new case up, to make sure I still didn’t have it. All this for a clearance necklace that she probably forgot to pick up in time.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!