Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not So Sweet On Sugar Or Honey

| Right | January 6, 2013

(I was born and raised in the country, and my area uses terms such as ‘honey’, ‘sweetie,’ and ‘dear’ to speak to everyone, including strangers. It’s just how I talk. I am taking care of a customer in the coffee shop.)

Me: “Hey, sugar, how can I help you today?”

Customer: “I don’t want sugar.”

Me: *chuckling* “Sorry, honey, I didn’t mean that. How can I help you?”

Customer: “Excuse me?”

Me: “Umm… how can I help you?”

(The customer places her order, but seems very agitated. I turn on my sweetest smile and small talk.)

Customer: “Look, can I just get my d*** coffee, please?”

Me: “Sure, coming right up, babe!”

Customer: “Are you a lesbian?”

Me: “Um… no?”

Customer: “Then why were you just hitting on me?”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “Why did you just call me babe and try to ask me out?”

Me: *chuckling* “Oh, I’m sorry, that’s just how I talk. I don’t mean anything by it; I was raised in a family that uses terms of endearment in everyday conversation.”

Customer: “Oh, so you’re a hillbilly?”

Me: “Um, kind of, yeah… I’m from the country.”

Customer: “Well, that explains so much!”

Me: *a little hurt, but still smiling* “I’m sorry if you took offense; I didn’t mean anything by it. Just trying to be friendly.”

Customer: “I don’t need you to be friendly, I am certainly not your friend, thank you very much. I need you to do your d*** job. Don’t call people ‘sweetie’ or ‘honey’. Only idiots do that, and it’s really f***ing rude.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, ma’am. I didn’t realize that it was. No one has ever said that to me before.”

Customer: “Ugh, don’t call me ‘ma’am,’ either. What do I look like, some old lady?”

Me: “I’m sorry, miss, I didn’t mean anything by it.”

Customer: “Oh my god, did you go to some idiot academy or something? Do you not see the ring on my finger?” *proceeds to flash her ring*

Me: “Well, what do you want me to call you?”

Customer: “My d*** name! Is that so f***ing hard?”

Me: “How would I know your name? I’ve never met you before, and you never told me.”

Customer: “Well, you should’ve asked! So rude and dumb! There’s just no respect for people anymore!” *stalks away*

(She leaves me standing there, dumbfounded and upset. Later, I asked my boss if I’d get in trouble. Thankfully, my boss told me she’d have a few choice names to call that lady the next time she came in!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!