Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not So (Bel)Fast To Catch On

, , , , , , , | Friendly | July 27, 2022

One evening, my wife and I went out in Belfast to see a friend who was performing at a comedy club. After the event was over, we said goodbye to our friend and walked back to the car. It was early summer, so even though it was well after 9:00 pm, it still wasn’t dark yet.

As we reached the street where our car was parked, we were approached by a young man in his late teens or early twenties on a bicycle.

Young Man: “Excuse me, guys, can you help me?”

We stopped walking.

Me: “What’s up, mate?”

Young Man: “I’m a bit lost. I’m trying to get into Belfast. Can you give me directions?”

My wife and I looked at each other.

Me: “You’re in Belfast. Are you trying to get to the city centre?”

Young Man: “No, I need to get to Belfast!”

Wife: “My husband already told you that you’re in Belfast! If you want to go to the city centre, then…”

She gave him directions to the city centre from where we were.

Young Man: *Nodding* “Oh, right, and that’s how I get to Belfast?”

Wife & Me: “You’re in Belfast!”

Young Man: “Really?!”

Me: “Yes! This area you are in now is the Cathedral Quarter. It’s all Belfast.”

Young Man: “Are you sure?”

Wife: “We’re definitely sure!”

Young Man: “Oh. Okay. That’s strange!”

He cycled off. My wife and I looked at each other and laughed.

This remains the weirdest interaction we’ve ever had with a stranger. If the young man had smelled of drink or drugs, we’d have known what was up, but he didn’t! He appeared to be completely clean and sober. We’re not sure if he was joking around or just really confused!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!