Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Seeing The Problem Here

, , , , , | Right | August 28, 2012

(I am a server at a rather nice restaurant in the downtown area. It’s New Year’s Eve and a couple in their forties are enjoying the after-meal cocktails while waiting for the midnight fireworks.)

Me: “How are the drinks?”

Customer: “Great, thanks.”

Me: “Anything else that I can get for you at the moment?”

Customer: “I’m fine.”

Customer’s Wife: “I’ll have another glass of wine, please.”

Me: “No problem at all—”

Customer: “You know, I really hate people that use that term ‘No problem.’ It’s as if to say you doing your job is an inconvenience. You should just do it.”

Me: “My apologies, sir. It’s merely a turn of phrase. I will get your drink right away.”

(I walk off, a little irritated, but otherwise still smiling. Some time goes by without incident and this table continues to get drinks up until close, at which point the customer approaches me as I’m doing some side work.)

Customer: “Hey, I think I was being a bit of a jerk earlier with that whole ‘No problem’ thing. My wife made me come over and apologize.”

Me: “Oh, it’s fine, sir.”

Customer: “No, really, I’m sorry about that!”

Me: *without thinking* “It’s no problem, sir.”

(We both realized what I said and the customer stared at me, but he bit his tongue and shook my hand before walking away. His wife, just behind him? Cracked up!)


This story is part of the New Year’s Eve roundup!

Read the next New Year’s Eve roundup story!

Read the New Year’s Eve roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!