Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Quite The Postcard Perfect Customer

, , , , | Right | January 24, 2018

(I have just commented to my coworker how nice the customers have been today when two very old women approach me.)

Woman #1: *in a very stern voice, as if scolding a child* “You! Why isn’t everything in this store marked with a price? It’s absurd! Am I supposed to ask you what each and every single item costs?”

Me: “I’m sorry for the confusion, ma’am. We do try to mark every item. If we can’t attach a sticker or a tag, then we will have a sign. But you can, of course, ask me if you can’t find the price.”

Woman #2: *waves postcard in my face* “How much is this?”

Me: “All postcards are £0.65, unless they are special edition cards, which are more.”

Woman #2: “No! They are not 65 pence! Look at this!” *shoves sign at me that reads “(Special) Postcards: £2.25″*

Me: *screaming internally* “Yes, like I said, special cards cost more, and it is marked on the sign.”

Woman #1: “But the other cards aren’t marked!”

Me: *gesturing* “As you can see, there are six signs, one above each rack, which indicate that all normal postcards are 65 pence. Can I help you with anything else?”

Woman #1: “Yes! These notebooks aren’t marked! Why is nothing marked?!”

Me: “The price tag is on the inside.” *opens notebook and shows her*

Woman #1: “Why would you do that? Now you touched it and made it dirty! The price should be on the outside!”

Me: “Ma’am, it is a leather book. Putting a sticker on the leather could damage it.”

Woman #1: “Humph! Well, the book is too heavy! I don’t want it, anyway!” *storms away*

(Over the next half hour they both keep bringing items up to me, asking the prices, even though they are clearly written on the attached price tags, and then screeching, “But how do you knooow?! Nothing is marked!” Eventually they buy a few postcards, argue with me over paying for gift bags, and finally leave. But 15 minutes later…)

Woman #1: *storms back into shop* “I bought these, and they’ve too heavy!” *slams ten postcards on the counter*

Me: “I’m not sure what you’d like me to do ma’am. I cannot change the weight of the cards. Would you like to return them? I can give you a refund.”

Woman #1: “Yes, you’d better! I have asthma, you know! I can’t carry these! They’re too heavy! But I’m keeping this bag!”

(After she finally leaves.)

Coworker: “So… What were you saying about everyone being nice today?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!