Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Quite Crystal Clear, Part 2

, , , , , | Right | October 2, 2020

I work as a supervisor in the e-commerce department of a large non-profit agency. We sell many things on an online site and jewelry is one of them. We have all our jewelry tested and appraised at a local jeweler before listing it to make sure we give customers all the information needed to make an informed purchase.

Me: “[Store], this is [My Name]. What can I do for you?”

Customer: “This order came today. I have a Presidium Gem Tester and the ring contains glass, not a white sapphire. This is just plain fraud. I have no problem reporting this to the better business bureau and the media. I’m sure they’d be interested in hearing that you’re saying you’re selling gemstones when it’s just glass. That is wrong! Now I’m wondering what else I’ve purchased that was falsely depicted. I have spent over ten thousand dollars on this auction website and am starting to run into more misrepresented items and receiving damaged items. This is not appreciated. I expect the entire purchase price, plus shipping, to be refunded immediately.”

Me: “I can definitely understand how upset you are if that stone is just glass. All of our items are tested by a local jeweler and we go by what he informs us each piece is; therefore, if one is not as described, I will be perfectly happy to email you a return address label so that the ring may be returned. A full refund will be issued immediately when it arrives and has been verified against the listing photos. In any auction from our location, we have no issues at all paying for the item to be returned and issuing a full refund with shipping costs when items are listed incorrectly or inaccurately. I cannot speak for any other sellers on [Site], but I believe most will be happy to work with you if an item is misrepresented.”

Customer: “That is not acceptable. I don’t see why I need to return this obviously fake ring to you. I expect my refund now.”

Me: “Ma’am, I am happy to refund you the full amount you paid; however, I have to get the item sent back first. I need it so that I can verify the item was incorrectly identified and bring the issue up with our jeweler so that it does not happen in the future.”

Customer: “Well, it’s fake so I’m going to throw it out! I still expect my full refund!”

Me: “If you do that, I cannot give you the refund.”

Customer: “I demand to speak to your manager!”

Me: “Please hold.”

I go and get my director and explain to him what is happening.

Director: “Hello, this is [My Name].”

Customer: “Your store sold me a fake ring and I want my money back!”

Director: “I understand. I will have the shipping clerk send you a return label so that you can get your refund.”

Customer: “No, I will not return the ring. Why do I have to return it?”

Director: “When you buy something in a store and it doesn’t work or isn’t what you thought it was, do they give you a refund?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Director: “And do they let you also keep whatever it is you got the refund for?”

Customer: “No, but those are real stores, not online. I don’t see why I have to return anything to get my refund!”

Director: “We will send you the return label. If you want a refund, go ahead and use it and send us back the ring. If you want to keep the ring, then you will not get your payment for the ring back. It is an auction site and you chose how much you wanted to pay. You have the choice now if you want your refund or not. Goodbye.”

Related:
Not Quite Crystal Clear

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!