Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Promoting Good Feelings

, , , , | Working | February 20, 2021

At the time of this story, I’ve been working at this office for several years and am constantly called on to train new employees. I apply for a promotion but don’t get it. No big deal; I’ll go for the next one, right? Fast forward a couple of weeks, and they hire someone. They tell us that one of my coworkers, who is already in a similar role, is supposed to be training her. A member of upper management walks her over to me.

Upper Management: “[My Name], this is [New Coworker].”

Me: “Hi, it’s nice to meet you!”

New Coworker: “Likewise! They tell me you know everything around here and you’re the best person to ask for help.”

Me: “Well, that’s very kind, but I wouldn’t say I know everything.”

Upper Management: “Don’t be modest, [My Name]! You’re very knowledgeable. That’s why you’re going to train [New Person]!”

Me: “Wait, what?”

Upper Management: “Yep, you’re the one for the job!”

I’m the WHAT now? Okay. I blink a few times and smile at both of them.

Me: “Sure, no problem!”

And that’s the story of how my company passed me over for a promotion and then asked me to train the person who was hired for that very position. I turned in my notice a week later.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!