Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Playing With That Rule

, , | Right | May 24, 2019

(The floor in our play area is a spongy rubber material. While it’s a fun color and cushions falls very well, it is an absolute nightmare to clean if any kind of liquid gets on it. Because of this, we have a strict “no food or drink in the play area” policy. Some customers simply don’t notice the sign and are very understanding when we inform them of the rule, and we rarely have anyone give us trouble because of it. As I’m bringing another customer their food, I notice a woman entering the play area with two children, and she and the older kid are both carrying drinks. I follow them in.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but we don’t allow drinks in here. I can take them back to your table if you’d like so you don’t have to leave.”

Customer: “Where does it say that?”

(I point to the — rather large — sign on the door.)

Customer: “Well, my kids will be careful. It’ll be fine.”

(She takes the drink from the older child so he can go play, setting it and her own drink precariously on a bench next to her while she takes off the younger’s shoes.)

Me: *nervously half-reaching for the cups* “Ma’am, please let me take those for you. If they get spilled, I’ll have to—“

Customer: *nonchalantly* “It’s fine.”

(Before I can get another word in, the child she’s holding gets squirmy and kicks both drinks onto the floor, and the liquid completely soaks a large section of the floor.)

Customer: “Oh, sorry. Get me some paper towels and I’ll clean it up for you.”

Me: “Actually, I have to ask you to leave so I can close the play area.”

Customer: *suddenly irritated* “What? Why? It’s not soda; it’s just lemonade!”

Me: “Which is extremely sticky. Regardless of what drink it was, I have to close this section so I can clean.”

Customer: *angrily* “I don’t understand. Just get a mop and work around us!”

Me: “A mop won’t do me any good. This floor is basically a giant sponge; any liquid gets absorbed past the surface almost instantly, so we have to use a steam cleaner to get it out.”

Customer: “Okay, so work around us!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t have anyone else in here while I’m using it. It’s very hot, and you have to be careful with it.”

(I turn to two other moms playing with their kids, who have been silently watching the whole conversation.)

Me: “Sorry, ladies, we’re going to have to close the play area for a while to clean up a spill.”

Customer #2: “Sure!”

Customer #3: “No problem.”

(The first woman continued to fume as everyone filed out, but the other two moms gave her some less-than-friendly looks as they left.)

Customer #2’s Kid: *seeing the spill* “Mommy, who had a drink in here? There’s no drinks allowed!”

(I guess no one can say the rule is hard to understand!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!