Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 17

, , , , | Right | November 18, 2021

Where we work, if you are getting work done on your car and it is expected to take a while, we will give you a complimentary loaner car. To get a car, we need three things: a driver’s license, debit or credit card, and proof of car insurance. None of these things can be expired.

People do tend to give us expired car insurance, but usually, it has expired within the last six months. When this happens, we ask that they either ask their insurance to email or fax it to us, or they can go onto the website, screenshot their information, and email it to us. People will sometimes argue that “it’s the same information,” but they usually cave once we refuse to give them a car.

My coworker is giving out a loaner car to a customer whose car is expected to be here for a couple of days. My coworker asks for his license, credit card, and insurance, and he gives them.

Coworker: “Oh, your insurance is expired.”

Customer: “It’s the same information.”

Coworker: “I can’t accept this.”

Customer: “Why not? It’s the same information.”

Coworker: “This insurance expired three years ago. If a cop pulled you over, you would get into trouble.”

Customer: “The cops don’t care. It’s the same information. Just give me a car.”

Coworker: “No. I need recent car insurance. This is expired.”

Customer: “My insurance isn’t expired.”

Coworker: “Well, I need proof. My system has no way of knowing this isn’t really expired. You could call your insurance, you could go to their website, or you could download their app onto your phone.”

Customer: *Yelling* “No! It’s the same information! Just give me the d*** car!”

Coworker: “Sir, please don’t yell. I need recent car insurance.”

Customer: “I’m not giving you my d*** insurance!”

Coworker: “Okay, sir. Have a good day.”

She gives him his stuff back.

Customer: “What am I supposed to do? Take the f****** bus?”

This goes on for a bit more and he eventually leaves without a loaner car. A few days later, an off-duty officer comes in to pick up his car. While I’m processing his payment, I make small talk with him.

Me: “Let me ask you, if you pulled someone over and their insurance card expired three years ago, would you be okay with that?”

Cop: “No, that wouldn’t fly with me. If it had expired less than a month ago, I might let you off with a warning, but not for three years.”

Me: “Ah, okay. We had a guy a few days ago try to give us insurance that expired back in 2017.”

Cop: “He’d better hope I don’t pull him over.”

Related:
Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 16
Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 15
Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 14
Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 13
Not Much Assurance About The Insurance, Part 12

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!