Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Making The Organic Choice

, , , | Right | September 30, 2015

(I work at a small local cookie store. In addition to cookies, we sell local ice cream. Our store is across the street from a chain restaurant popular with tourists. It’s been an unusually busy day, so we run out of vanilla ice cream and are serving a supermarket brand. We still have a couple of other flavors from the usual supplier. A boy, who’s probably about ten years old, comes in by himself.)

Me: “Welcome to [Store]. How can I help you?”

Boy: “My family’s eating dinner across the street, and I’m trying to convince them to come here. Is this a family-owned business or a chain?

Me: “We’re a family business, and this is the only store.”

Boy: “My mom only eats at locally-owned, organic, healthy restaurants. She’s doesn’t let me buy any dessert without checking it first.”

(He leaves and comes back a little while later with his family. They order their cookies first and then examine the ice cream flavors.)

Mom: “Is that [Supermarket Brand] ice cream?”

Me: “Unfortunately, we’ve had a lot of large orders today, so we have to sell supermarket vanilla. But we have three other flavors that are all from a local creamery, made with organic, super-premium ingredients and fresh fruit.”

Mom: “No, no, no! Just give us the supermarket brand. That sounds much better.”


This story is part of our Small Business roundup!

Read the next story in this roundup!

Read the Small Business roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!