Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Making An Concession On The Matter

, , , | Right | November 16, 2022

I work in a concessions stand, and we don’t usually have change for large bills. It is quite a hassle to have to get change for large bills, so we always ask if the customer has a smaller bill or another form of payment. Usually, they do; they just don’t want to use it.

One day, a customer who has issues with me — I don’t know the reason — comes up to my register.

Customer: “I’d like to buy a large [Soda].”

Me: “Got it! Is there anything else I can get you?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “That will be [price].”

The customer tries to hand me a $50 bill.

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, but I do not have change for that. Do you happen to have a smaller bill or another form of payment?”

Customer: “No, I don’t. Can you not just accept it?”

Me: “Unfortunately, I cannot accept the bill.”

I am not going to budge on this after another coworker was recently yelled at by a different customer that we didn’t have change for their large bill.

Customer: “I don’t have other payment. Can I just get it and pay for it later?”

Me: “No, I cannot let you have the item without paying for it.”

Customer: “No, I want to pay for it later.”

Me: “I cannot give you something for free.”

Customer: “I’m not asking for it for free. I just want to pay for it later.”

This went back and forth several more times until they left without their item. I don’t know why they thought they could just come back and pay for something later. It doesn’t work that way, especially for concessions items. It would basically be getting an item for free as we cannot ensure they’ll even pay for it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!