Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not In Her Charitable Shoes

| Right | January 9, 2015

(I’m an assistant manager in a charity shop. As we’re a charity, we don’t do any refunds unless the item is damaged, although we do take exchanges or credit with a receipt. There is a large printed sign clearly stating our refund policy on the counter. A volunteer calls me out to deal with a customer.)

Volunteer: “This lady wants a refund for these shoes.”

Me: “Okay, what’s wrong with them?”

Customer: “They’re the wrong size.”

Me: “Oh, sorry, I’m afraid we don’t do refunds unless the item is damaged. I can give you an exchange, or a store credit.”

Customer: *begins to get angry” “You didn’t tell me that I couldn’t get a refund when I bought them. That’s false advertising! All other shops do refunds!”

Me: *points to sign that is literally ON THE COUNTER* “There is a sign right here that states our refund policy; we can’t ask our volunteers to recite it to every customer. If you had asked when you bought the shoes then we would have explained the policy to you. All our profits go to charity, which is why we don’t offer refunds; most other charity shops have the exact same policy.”

Customer: “That sign is too low; it’s ridiculous to expect people to read that!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but there is nowhere else that we could put the sign, and I feel that it’s quite clear. It’s on the counter, so everybody who buys something can see it.”

Customer: “You should put it there!” *points to a display cabinet*

Me: “Um… If we put it there, nobody would be able to see things inside the cabinet.”

Customer: *by this point she is practically shouting in my face* “That’s not my problem! Your sign isn’t clear enough! I want a refund for these shoes. They’re for my mother and they’re the wrong size.”

Me: “I’m sorry; I really can’t give you a refund because you bought shoes the wrong size. You can have an exchange or credit.”

Customer: “I can’t believe this! This is RIDICULOUS, it’s false advertising, and I’m not leaving without a refund.”

(My manager and another manager who happened to be in the shop have come out to try to calm the customer down.)

Manager: “Everything she’s said is absolutely right. Our policy is stated right in front of you and as a charity shop, we don’t do refunds. It’s a very common policy.”

Customer: “I’m going to call the police! I can’t believe this! I’m calling them now!” *she takes out her phone*

(At this point, another customer steps in:)

Customer #2: “If you call the police, who do you think they’re going to have a problem with: the shop following their policy, which is stated RIGHT THERE, or you screaming in their faces?”

(The customer shouts some more about calling the police and then leaves, throwing the shoes on the counter.)

Manager: “Out of interest, how much were the shoes?”

Me: “£5…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!