Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Earning Interest In What You’re Interested In

, , , , | Right | November 9, 2020

I’m running a deposit for a customer. I’m female. For those who may not be familiar with banking, “the Fed,” or Federal Reserve, controls the rise and fall of interest rates.

Customer: “Just throw it in my checking. The savings isn’t getting enough interest to make me want to put anything in it, anyway.”

Me: “I’ve got the same struggle with mine. The Fed is extremely frustrating right now.”

Customer: *In a patronizing tone* “Well, the Fed is controlled by the markets, you know.”

Me: “Actually, I do—”

Customer: “—and if the markets are down, well, the interest rates aren’t going to move.”

Me: “Sir, I—”

He continues in this vein for several minutes. I stop interrupting and just wait for him to run out of steam. I put my brightest customer service smile on.

Me: “Actually, sir, I did know all of that.”

Customer: “Oh? How so?”

Me: “I’d hope I’d know something about the Fed, considering I’ve been a banker and loan officer for over five years.”

Customer: “I, uh—”

Me: “And considering my degree is in business, you know.” *Big grin*

Customer: “Oh. How… nice.”

Me: “Now, can I help you with anything else today?”

Customer: *Deflated* “No.” *Walks out*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!