Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not The Best Way To Manage The Numbers

| Working | August 9, 2014

(It is my first year working at the amusement park. I am 16 years old. I work hard in the area I was placed in, always show up on time or early, and get along great with my coworkers. Towards the end of the year I get called into the office by my manager.)

Manager: “Ah, [My Name], there you are! You have been a model employee and you work like two of your coworkers combined. Do you plan to come back and work next year?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. I really love working here.”

Manager: “Good! Good, I plan to make you the manager next year because I’ve been bumped up to area manager.”

Me: *slightly confused* “But… I’ve only been here for one season and I know [Coworker #1] and [Coworker #2] have been working here for years! Shouldn’t they have the manager job?”

Manager: *snorting* “They both slack off too much! You work harder than them both! So are you going to take the manager job or not?”

Me: *timidly* “But isn’t there an age requirement for being a manager?”

Manager: “Yes, but it’s only 18, and you’re like 25, so it’s no problem.”

Me: “But… I’m 16… I’ll only be 17 next year.”

Manager: *stares at me blankly for a few seconds before angrily waving me out* “Oh s***, I completely forgot. Get out!”

Me: “Yes, [Manager].”

(I leave and head to the back where my coworkers are waiting.)

Coworker #1: “Did you get into trouble?”

Coworker #3: “I bet she got in trouble.”

Coworker #2: *in a sing-song voice* “She’s in troubleeee!”

Me: “Nah, [Manager] just tried to give me the manager’s position next year.”

(My coworkers’ jaws drop.)

Coworker #1: “Did you take the job?! The pay raise would be awesome! And you’ve only been here a season. That is a hell of a feat!”

Coworker #3: “I wish I was offered that job…”

Me: “I didn’t take it. [Manager] forgot I don’t meet the age requirement.”

Coworker #2: *suddenly goes dead still* “Wait… What do you mean you don’t meet the age requirement?”

Coworker #1: “Yeah, aren’t you 21?”

Me: *suddenly very curious* “How old do you all think I am?”

(They all make various guesses between 21 up to 25. I burst into a fit of laughter before collecting myself.)

Me: *still laughing a bit* “Guys, I am 16. I am still in high school!”

Coworker #3: “Oh, s***, man!”

(While the rest are laughing and talking about how they had no clue about my real age Coworker #2 has gone rigid and looks horrified. After a few moments while the rest of us are still chattering he yells out.)

Coworker #2: “Oh, my god! *runs out the back of the building*

(Everyone stops and stares in shock.)

Me: “Wait… How old is [Coworker #2]?”

Coworker #1: “He’s 22.”

Me: “Oh, s***! I thought he was 18!”

(Coworker #2 and I had been flirting with each other almost all year. I thought he was 18, and he thought I was 21. When he realized I was under age he had quite the reaction!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!