Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Banking On You Being Loyal

, , , , | Right | October 6, 2020

I work as a teller for a major bank. I am one of only two tellers on this particular day, and when there are no customers in line, I take the opportunity to use the restroom. I’m gone no more than three minutes. There is one man in line when I get back.

Me: “I’d be happy to help you here, sir.”

Customer: “Do I get a free coffee card for having to wait so long?”

Me: “I’m sorry but we don’t have coffee.”

Customer: “I don’t want coffee; I want a coffee card for having to wait so long.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t have any coffee cards. How can I help you?”

Customer: “I’d like to make a deposit.”

The customer proceeds to pull out several envelopes with cash and checks in them. He has not filled out a deposit slip and does not know how much his deposit will be for. I begin to count the cash and prepare the deposit. In the meantime, the line is growing.

Customer: “You know, [Competitor] serves coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. They have couches, too. It’s so relaxing when I go there. Sometimes I go there just to relax and don’t even do my banking.”

Me: “That’s nice.”

Customer: “Where do you bank?”

Me: “Here.”

Customer: “What? They don’t allow you to bank wherever you want?!”

Me: “Sir, I am allowed to bank wherever I please.”

Customer: “Well, you should bank with [Competitor]. I never had to wait so long to be helped there. And they have coffee.”

By this time, I’ve completed his deposit and a good five minutes have passed since he came to my window. There are now at least seven or eight people in line behind him at this point.

Me: “Have a nice day.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!