Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not As Rewarding As It Used To Be

, , , , | Working | November 4, 2019

(Our hours are partially decided by how many new rewards program members we are able to sign up. The expectations are frankly unrealistic, but, as I am recently married and have just had my first child, I am working myself ragged trying everything I can think of to say as a cashier to every customer that comes through.)

Me: “Has anyone told you about—”

(My customer, a college-age boy, stops me.)

Customer: “Ma’am, I know it’s not your fault; there’s no way you can do what’s asked of you without being annoying. It’s your job, and you are doing it in the most polite way possible, but not only am I not interested, I couldn’t afford it if I wanted to. I hope the numbers don’t affect your hours, though.”

Me: “Thanks for understanding. Your total is [total]. Have a nice day; come back soon.”

Customer: “I will.”

(My boss catches my eye after the transaction.)

Me: “Sorry, I know I can try harder…”

Supervisor: “Honey, you’re doing everything you can. You’ve been here since we opened, you’re a great worker, and I know you got a husband and a baby to feed. I’m not going to make you struggle for a couple of numbers.”

(It made me redouble my efforts, but pressure for numbers kept coming from above. My supervisor fought tooth and nail, but eventually, she was relieved. The entire staff quit — me included — which closed the store for three weeks while a completely new staff was rehired. When they were up and running again, I have yet to know an employee to have stayed more than three weeks.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!