Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Always Right Supports Net Neutrality

, | Right | December 4, 2017

We here at Not Always Right like to keep things light and fun. We tell stories about bad customers, infuriating people, outrageous incidents, and occasionally, those small moments that restore your hope for humanity.

But lately we’ve found it hard to ignore the Federal Communications Commission’s plan to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet – essentially destroying Net Neutrality in the United States.

To get a bitter taste of what a world without Net Neutrality could look like, we have just the story for that, sent to us from Indonesia:

 

I Don’t Give A Netflux

(One of the major ISPs in Indonesia, who’s also the main telecommunications provider, is blocking Netflix since its expansion, due to Netflix’s refusal to share its revenue with the ISP. To compensate, they provide their own rip-off streaming services, but the service is really bad. One day I decide to stop my subscription, since they’re blocking Netflix, and also due to their really silly Internet filter. If we cancel our subscription, we could also lose our landline, and I don’t want to lose it, so I need to make sure.)

Me: “Hello, I want to cancel my subscription to your Internet service. But I have one question: would I lose my landline number?”

ISP: “All right, ma’am. Could you tell us the reason you’re ending your subscription?”

Me: “I can’t watch Netflix. You block them.”

ISP: “Sorry, but they’re not our product. To stream movies and TV series, we suggest [Rip-Off Streaming Service #1] and [Rip-Off Streaming Service #2]. Have you reconsidered?”

Me: “YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are not your products, either, but I can still access them; why is that? Besides, your streaming service is really poor, and it crashes most of the time.”

ISP: “Netflix doesn’t cooperate with us, but the other sites have.”

Me: “So, you decided to just block them?”

ISP: “Netflix’s content is full of violence, so we decided not to cooperate with them.”

Me: “But [Rip-Off Streaming Service #1] and [Rip-Off Streaming Service #2] have also provided violent content in their service. To be fair, the responsibility of filtering content is the customer’s responsibility, and I’m capable of it.”

ISP: *ignoring my comment* “I’m sorry, ma’am. They’re not compliant to this country’s regulation.”

Me: “First you say it’s because they don’t cooperate with you, then you say that it’s because their content is violent, then you say that they’re not compliant with regulations? Which one is true?”

ISP: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but we have [Rip-Off Streaming Service #1] and [Rip-Off Streaming Service #2] with quality movies; have you reconsidered?”

Me: “…”

(I guess I won’t mind losing my phone number, then.)

 

If you support net neutrality, make your voice heard! This form goes directly to the FCC, but it must be done from a desktop computer. #netneutrality #resist

Here’s a super quick and effective way to support net neutrality:
1. On a computer, (not your phone!), go to: www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
2. Enter (under “Proceeding”) the numbers 17-108.
3. In comments, say you support Title 2 oversight of ISPs. Also say that you support net neutrality.

*Fill in the form carefully; they’ve made it less friendly and impossible to fill in by phone, on purpose.
*Don’t be silenced. Do it now. Copy & Paste and Pass it on!
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

 

To get back to our business of telling stories, enjoy a roundup of some of our more memorable stories involving access to The Internet!

The Cable Guy Ignores The Cable
Some Take It More Seriously Than Others
Future Technology
By Process of Indiscrimination
Full Of Hot Air
(Bodily) Equipment Malfunctions
From Boob Tube To Boob Tubes
What Would Jesus Do For Free Wifi
I Swear By My Password
A Tidal Wave Of Bad Excuses
It Was A ‘No’ Brainer

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!