Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not A Televisionary Manager

| Working | April 9, 2014

(I work in the newsroom of a radio station. When budget time comes around, my station manager asks if there’s any new equipment we need. Just for the heck of it, I put in a request for a TV for the newsroom, so we can monitor the news channels. The next day, the station manager sends me an e-mail with the subject line, ‘here’s what the higher-ups think of your TV idea” and what follows is a long list of jokes my station manager and her boss have made, ridiculing my suggestion. I’m highly offended, and decide to confront the station manager about it.)

Me: “I can’t believe you and [Her Boss] took my idea and made fun of it like that. I find this behaviour very unprofessional.”

Station Manager: “I’m unprofessional? I’M UNPROFESSIONAL? YOU’RE the one who’s unprofessional because you didn’t do a news story about MY BIRTHDAY! Every reporter who’s worked here in the past has done a news story about MY BIRTHDAY and made a fuss about me on the air, and you’re the first one who didn’t! Do you know how humiliating it was for me when everyone in the company started asking what the news department did for my birthday, and I had to tell them that you did nothing? SO DON’T TALK TO ME ABOUT UNPROFESSIONALISM!”

(Since the TV wasn’t that important, I drop the issue completely. A few weeks later, my boss is making his monthly visit. We’re in a meeting, when my station manager barges in.)

Station Manager: “After doing further research, I have determined that NO OTHER RADIO STATION IN THE COUNTRY has a TV in their newsroom. So drop this TV foolishness once and for all!”

Me: “First, I have toured [Well-Known News Station], and they have a TV in their newsroom. I’ve also visited friends who work at [Other Radio Station], and they have a TV in their newsroom. And I did my internship at [Sister Station], and, not only do they have a TV in the newsroom, but a TV in the announcer’s booth, too.”

Boss: “Yeah, a TV in the newsroom is quite a common thing. I’ve been asking [Station Manager’s Boss] for one at our flagship station for years, but he keeps saying it’s not in the budget.”

(My station manager stands there for a bit, just beside herself, not knowing what to say.)

Station Manager: “Good meeting, everybody! Your feedback will be taken into consideration.”

(She sprints out of the room. My boss just turns to me and apologizes for me having to work with her.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!