Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not A Custom To Such Kindness

, , | Hopeless | April 17, 2016

(I’ve received a notice that the local post office is holding a piece of mail for me. As it’s right down the street from where I live I run over after getting home for the day, finding a queue has expectedly already formed. I get in line, and wait till it’s my turn.)

Post Office Employee: “Hey, just so you know, there’s a five pound import fee due on this.”

Me: “Really?”

Post Office Employee: “Yes, looks like it was shipped from overseas so you must claim on it.”

Me: “Uh… well, do you accept cards? I don’t have any actual cash on me right now.”

Post Office Employee: “Sorry, mate, only coins or notes. You can always come back later to pick this up if you want.”

Me: “Right… well, I do apologise for wasting your time, and yours.” *gesture to the folk still waiting behind me*

(Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder.)

Man Behind Me: “Here, I’ve got this. Save yourself having to come back here.”

(He hands the employee a fiver and I thus get my package.)

Me: “Uh… wow, that was very kind of you! I… don’t know what to say!”

Man Behind Me: “Think nothing of it. Believe it or not, you’re the first young person I’ve seen today that’s behaved themselves, dressed sensibly, and isn’t trying to buy smokes or filthy p*rnographic material.”

Me: “Yeah… uh… right. Well, again, thank you.”

(I promptly left, feeling absolutely terrible about the fact that my package, which the man paid for, in fact contained two packs of an exotic brand of cigars that weren’t available in the UK. Needless to say it was one of the reasons I gave up smoking as I grew older.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!