Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Vocation For Location, Part 5

, , , , , | Right | February 24, 2013

(I work at a call center for charities where we call people to confirm their details and thank them for their donations. I have recently moved from South Africa and am still getting used to some of the pronunciations around the UK.)

Me: “Hello, this is Sarah calling on behalf of [Charity]. I believe you spoke to John in Inverness on Saturday. Is that correct?”

(I’ve pronounced it “In-ver-niss” as opposed to “In-ver-ness.”)

Man: “What?! How can you work in a f****** call center and not even know how to pronounce the names?”

Me: “I’m so sorry, sir. I’m not from England so I’m still getting used to all the names.”

Man: “How f****** dare you! I am not from England! I am from Scotland, you dumb b****! They’re different places! How don’t you know that? Didn’t you go to school?!”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, sir. I meant to say I’m new to the UK. Some of the names of places are still a bit tricky for me.”

Man: *calmer* “Well, okay, then. Where are you from?”

Me: “Johannesburg in South Africa.”

Man: “Oh, you mean Zimbabwe!”

Me: “No, sir, they’re different countries.”

Man: “They’re the same thing!”


This story is part of our Scotland themed roundup! This is the last story in the roundup, but we have plenty of others you might enjoy!

23 Times Customers Liked To ‘Milk’ Their Ignorance – For World Milk Day!

 

Read the next Scotland themed roundup story!

Read the Scotland themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!